Thursday, January 12, 2006

sweet and sour scroll with a side of fried won ton.

Let me tell you one thing that really gripes me is when Christians will use scriptures in a way where the scripture never causes the one quoting or using it to be self reflective. The scripture's light of judgment always falls on others but not them. That is a total BS way of engaging scripture. There is some song from the 90's by a one hit wonder alternative band that goes, "We bow do a God that always seems to look like me."
Scripture must mold one's thoughts not always confirm them.

So, in Rev 10 there is this scroll that John eats. I know we were told in school not to eat paper very bad habit. However, there are booming voices making John do what he was taught in school not to do.

The scroll is described in 10:10, "I took the little scroll and from the angel and I ate it; it was sweet as honey in my mouth, but when I had eaten it, my stomach was made bitter."

I recall in my seminary days, I would listen to Fred Craddock and I would think, "Go get them Fred." I would nod and nod in agreement. His preaching was sweet. After seminary, I would listen and I would nod and bow my head because what he said was true to me and it was a judgment. Fred's words spoke a truth that was bitterly true.

That is the scroll and scripture, sweet to our lips but it forces us to come to an understanding that may make us uncomfortable. Uncomfortable, because it is causing us to change. That is the freaking point of being a Christian. If there is no difference between the world and cross, why bother with the cross?

joy,
Guido

No comments: