Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Korean Corndogs

Korean Corndogs are not breaded with cornmeal or if it is, white cornmeal. The truly disgusting part is that they mix the three primary colors of condiments on the corndog. They mix ketchup, mustard, and mayo. Alright. The mayo on a hot dog is disgusting. However, youare not mix all the condiments together.
Mayo and Catsup-Thousand Island Dressing base
Mayo and Mustard-Dijonaise
Mustard and Ketchup-standard on burgers.
You don't put all three togther, you get brown.

Second note on Korean street vendor food which is found a plenty on any major thoroughfare.
Last night, I thought was getting a egg and spring onion pancake. Wound up being a sweet piece of Pita Bread.
The proper ettiquette is to eat at the counter where you ordered. So, you are not supposed to walk away and carry your food. Also, they have this salty broth that you use as a chaser to your meal. It is alright, but not all to appetizing. So, last night I was given proper ettiquette.
1.) Don't eat with your fingers. Put the Pita in a Dixie cup, sqash the cup and eat.
2.) Eat at the counter.
I am sure the owner of the stall laughed all night long.

Third note, I got home late at night, so I decided to go to a place called Jurassic Chicken and Beer. Beer and Fried Chicken has never been in my thought realm. I just don't eat fried chicken and think...hmm a beer would be good. So, I went out to this neighborhood restaurant. For 5000 won, I get a whole chicken, cut like I have no idea. Now, I am going to pick this up and eat with my hands....I was promptly given two forks. No chopsticks in this place. I work on the chicken for awhile with both forks. Then decide to look around the room of five tables and see what everybody else is doing. Eating with their hands. As I leave, the owner of the store sees my skilift tickets. She asks what they are in Korean. I motion and say, "Ski" For some reason this fascinated the woman, and she promptly asked me to sit down. "Coffee?" she asked.
"OK" this is the proper response to when somebody offers you a gift. No, humility.
(During Epiphany, I had a line in my liturgy that read, "You accepted gifts from three wise men from the east even though you were of God." A great lesson for me and a reminder that liturgy can teach us some things.)
Then, she offers me this candy. She opens up a box. I think it was a caramel that had been given a milk infusion and made hard. Like a real hard taffy. It was brown and my first thought was not too bad, not too great. My second thought, "Last time, I ate some thing like this it was Mexian Candy. I spent the night with my head in the toilet from food poisoning. Who is going to give me a shot in the butt in Korea and heck food poisoning would probably put me in the hospital for a month with their hyper aggressive approach......Yum. Yum this is good."
So, if you are in Haepjong...Jurassic Chicken and ski jacket will make you a king.

Fouth culinary note.
Dunkin Donuts. Way different from the US. The donuts are in the trays, but the customer goes and picks them out. The Koreans will spend 5000 won and get a half dozen donuts and a coffee. The interesting varieties are as follows. A spicy donut. Man, these people got some problem with the spicy food. A red bean bismark. Then a dunkin stick that has rye bread. I got the Red Bean Bismark and the Rye Bread Stick. I took off the lid to the coffee and dunked my donut. My grandfather taught me that you are supposed to dunk the donut. Hence the name of the store. This got some looks as well.

Enough food talk.

joy,
Guido

No comments: