Saturday, January 21, 2006

rough night last night

I got in yesterday and the move through the airport customs was smooth. Very smooth. It was the quickest move through customs. However, I came to the quick conclusion that I was at a disadvantage. I hopped off the plane and the arrival baggage boardwas all in Korean. So, I had to use the only thing that up there I knew, arabic numerals. Found the flight number and headed to the baggage carousel. That is pretty much life her right now. everything is Korean and the Hangul alphabet is not easily translated for somebody who has not studied.

I got my cab back to guest house and the cab driver let me use his phone to makemy phone call. that was good and very friendly. However, he knew no English. So, he was not able to tell me much about where I was going. The security guard speaks no English, Holt was correct there. So, I decided to go out and find a place to eat. Tons of places around here, but it is very intimidating to me. Many of the places the meals are upon the floor,shoes left at the door, and no menus. I could not find the restaurant they recommended on a sheet. It was a beef Korean restaurant. So, I found a pork Korean restaurant...therewas a pig on the sign. So, I went in. The owner said, he spoke no English. So,I tried to find another place, but gave up. I wound up going to a gas station getting a powerade and coming home to eat a couple of power bars. Watched martha stewart apprentice on Armed Forces Network and went to bed.

Got up at 200 AM wide awake. Watched Keith Oblerman and Donny Deutsch, not great, but it was in English. Went back to bed and woke up to darkness at 7:00. The sun does notrise until 7:43. So, I decided to type an e-mail, get a shower, and try to findsomething to eat for breakfast....what the heck do Koreans eat for breakfast. There are two hotels that I might try. I will be carrying my phrase book.

joy,
Guido

No comments: