Monday, January 16, 2006

one phone call changes a life

My wife and I have been in the process of adopting a child from Korea. We did this six and half years ago when we adopted our first son. The second process has been quite different than the first, because we have done it before and there is this six year old to take away the stress of the days of waiting.

So this time, we knew the process would happen when it would happen so we did not get stressed. We knew two bueracracies had to work and that we would not have to grease the palms of any of the government folks.

So, we got the phone call last Friday that it was time to travel. I had made plans to go to a church transformation workshop, go to a ecumenical gathering in DC, and do Minister's Week at TCU. Life was planned and it was going to be a good time. Then a phone call came and all that I planned was shot to hell. Life had changed.

Now, I am going to Korea to pick up my son. It is a frightening and noble task. There is a sense of honor, "I am going to Korea to pick up my son." I will meet his foster mother who has cared for him for the last five plus months. I look forward to meeting her. I get to walk around Seoul and get a better understanding of Korean culture. I can share that with my sons.

So, I am Seoul bound as of Thursday morning.

joy,
Guido

No comments: