Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Why I pray

To be honest folks, for me prayer is important. However, the job of a minister demands prayer but many times conflicts against prayer. Ministry needs results and many times the tail wags the dog with the spiritual life. As I stated before, I began reading the autobiographies of the saints and realized that many of these folk were really no different than you or I. They had better PR directors.

So, I am working through a dry spell and in a couple of weeks will find some time to take a few days out of the office to pray. Next week is spring break and I am going to take a day off with my son and will use a relaxed schedule to my benefit.

But let me share a story. I have had problems sitting down and planning my lenten sermon series. I had an idea, but I had not honed it out on paper. Today, I came into the office with an intention to pray about the church and my ministry. I finally said, "God, I am anxious about some things, but I am going to give you control over them. I am going to do what I feel is the right thing, but the results are yours." I control what I can control, a good reminder for control freaks.

So, where blank paper and scriptures were not coming to put together a sermon series...they popped out today. Boom, boom, boom. Is this a miracle, no. Does it solve world peace or stop the killing in Iraq. No. But it is a reminder that with our minds and spirits that less is many times more. May you find at ease in the hand of God, today.

joy,
Guido

1 comment:

kwpershey said...

Your reflections are very wise, and I really appreciate them as I prepare to head out to the desert for a prayer retreat. Thanks!