Monday, March 20, 2006

Notepad archaeology

While in college, I took a class in archaeology...I got my only D in my college career in that class for several reasons. The professor provided no syllabi for the class and was himself a relic, and perhaps I have not let go of that resentment older than a decade. Alright.

However, in the midst of that class one thing we learned was that the archaeologist usually can tell that the older material is usually deeper in the earth while the more recent materials are found closer to the surface. I use this method is finding stuff in my office. THere usually is a pile of stuff that accumulates in my office and I can tell what is older usually a magazine or an envelope will reveal a general date of the pile. This past week, I found, uh discovered, a notepad that I had written.

What I gather from this prayer is that this a prayer that I used before a dinner for runners who had just run marathons, half marathons, 10K and 5K races.

Our God is the god of the Long Run
God does not sprint.
Abraham set off from Ur on a late long journey of hope
Moses set off from Egypt on a late, long journy of deliverance
Peter dropped nets to follow on a long journey of faith
God does not sprint
God is faithful forever
God suffers blisters, thirsts with us
God travels morning trails and silent streets
God greets the evening as the city moves from frenetic day to a sigh of evening
God travels with us, so we are not alone.
God travels in morning gatherings
where the chorus is sung in hundreds of feet
laying out a rhythm that cheers the dawn
God travels in races cheering the elites and the one's who lead the push of the sag wagon
God has compassion on the Did Not Finish and the Did Not Start
Slowly we run, our bodies change through effort, faith, hope, and mighty grace.
We thank you God for waking with us, running with us, and celebrating with us.
Amen.
Makes sense to a runner, others may not get it. That is the nature of archaeology, not every find is great.
joy,
Guido

No comments: