Monday, March 20, 2006

Rite of Spring






Today, the day of equinox, equilibrium on a global scale. In our house, we are not pagans, so no dancing around in clover and lilacs. So, what is our ritual. It is put the Equinox Egg upright. I know like most rituals it can be done at any time, I am told. However, please don't bother this family ritual with a fact like that. Today, I remembered at dinner and told my son that I would stand the egg upright. He being a six year old, notice the lack of a teethy smile, was quick to tell me I could not do it. So, I finished up the tasty spaghetti and meatballs. Then I quickly worked with precision and a light touch to put the egg upright. We did it, and one day maybe my son will stand at the counter and patiently set the egg upright.

So, this is our rite of spring and we do it...because it is a moment to sense the wonder and amazement of seasons and the miraculous rotation of the earth. It is a reminder that God our creator is faithful. It happens two times a year on the same days. It never deviates. That is a profound miracle.


joy,
guido

No comments: