Sunday, March 19, 2006

A failed attempt at a Sunday excursion

Today was the White Rock Relays.
It was a 5 person 21 mile relay. I signed up with a team ROAD KILL 3 and got one of my buddies to join with me. I told the team coordinator, "Put me in the first leg or I can't do it."

This weekend, the city flooded. The race is run around White Rock lake in Dallas. In fact, one part of the course was covered in water 18 inches deep. It was insane. I arrived at 6:30 AM for the 8:00 AM start. There had to be coordinating to make this happen. The race director delayed the start by 30 minutes and having been at races with delayed starts, I knew that 30 minutes could be 45 minutes to an hour. So, I told folks, "I am out. I have to go to work."

Man, I was really depressed, because it would have been a helluva experience. They called the race after one lap around the lake 10.5 miles, because someone got injured. That was wise and wiser would have been to cancel the event. One of the guys one the team, said he ran in waste deep water along one of the trails.

For me, it was a moment to straddle that line between the sacred and profane. To hang out with folks who would rather run on a Sunday morning rather than be in church. These would be folks who would be unchurched. I live in a bubble where i really don't know what happens on Sunday morning outside of Western Heights CC. What happens at 11:00 AM in Dallas outside of my church? This was my opportunity to glimpse into it, and to glimpse into the heart of folks who I care about. Well, I had to bail and felt like a schmuck doing it. However, I needed to get to church and get my life in order. I did learn that people will drink beer on Sunday morning...which made me wonder where Christ would be?

joy,
Guido

No comments: