Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Nouwen's words



Henri Nouwen as the story goes, was asked by newly elected President Bill Clinton to be his spiritual advisor. Nouwen sent a message back to Clinton. "Thank you, but I have more important work to do hear at L'Arche Community." L'Arche was a community for mentally and physically handicapped folks where Nouwen served Jesus Christ.

Nouwen made an astute observation in his book, "Can you drink of the cup?" He says, the cup is our lives. My life is unique and it is different from every person in the world. My cup is filled with my own history, my own strengths, my own family, my own weaknesses. Nobody else can hold my cup, but me. However, in my life, I often find myself trying to add to my cup something that is not mine. I try to mix the drink of life in my cup with somebody elses.

I compare my cup to other folks' cups, but fail to realize that my cup is sufficient for me. When I do that, most of the consequences lead to unhappiness, failure, and chaos. I do not know how to be Joel Osteen, my buddy Wade, or even my Dad. I can only be myself. That is alright, because when I hold onto the cup that God has poured out for me, my life will be totally filled. I believe that, because the One, Jesus, that I follow has never left me thirsty and unfilled ever in my life. I just need to pick up my cup and hold it. Not compare it to yours, but hold and behold it for what it is, special.

Do you know how rich the cup that Jesus has given you is?
Are you willing to hold onto that cup, the life that God has provided?
Can you teach others how?

What is your experience with the cup?

joy,
Guido

1 comment:

Joe Weaks said...

Well, my cup had beer in it tonight. But I just wanted to say it's good to find you in Blogdom. Saw you post a comment on Jason's corner of the world.
Cheers, Guido.