Thursday, December 01, 2005

Vision to prepare

It is advent and John of the Apocalypse has this vision before he has the big vision.

He is sitting on Patmos in exile and gets caught up in the Spirit, in prayer, worship, or study. He is told to write what he sees.

His first vision
Rev. 1:9-20

In the midst of the seven lampstands. Lampstands held lamps, you put a light on a stand to provide more light for the total room. Light on a floor does not provide as much light as one on a stand. Light is what we as Christians are called to be and these lights are the seven churches that John will write to. In the midst of these seven lampstands is this vision of a Son of Man. As I try to make sense of this, it is like Gandalf in the Two Towers as he mets the hobbits in the woods. He is no longer a grey wizard, but the white wizard. Gandalf now almost glows.
This light of the Son of Man now is brighter than the lampstands. It is a reminder that we are not alone in our witness. It is a reminder that the light we reflect is part of the light of Christ. For folks going through persecution, this was a reminder of God is with us. The promises of Christ are true, he does not leave us alone.

In my life, there are some lonely moments. I remember one time when my wife had just had surgery and her mother had come to help us out. We had an 18 month old son, a wife who was recovering from surgery and a church to serve. It had snowed and thawed and refroze. My mother in law rushed out the door and fell on the ice on the back stoop. In the midst of the fall, she broker her shoulder. It was a terrible day, because the purpose of calling a person to be a caregiver is not to have them be needing care. That is just not how the plan is drawn up. That night, I prayed, held my son, and felt a calm reassurance that we would make it through. There would be folks who would help and there would be folks who give me grace at the church if things fell through the cracks.

Of course, that is not persecution, but I live in America. I ain't persecuted for my faith. It is a reminder of the same promise.

vs. 16
From his mouth came sharp two-edged sword.

I think for folks who are pacifists this is a great text.
You see the weapon that Christ took with him to battle the forces of evil was not sword but his tongue. A tongue is used to utter words. It is that reminder that which separates us is the confession of our faith in Jesus Christ. Of course, this confession moves to action. However, what divides is the very word of God. Even those who do not believe or hold to the very word of God coming from Jesus, they are divided by their words. You see when I don't confess Christ then I have divided myself away from Jesus. Not a good thing.

I love that image. It is a reminder how do we use our tongues? Do we use it to build folks up or do we use it to divide. I think Jesus does it both ways. The key thing is to know which way to use it and when.

Have a good day.

Joy,
Rev Guido

No comments: