Monday, December 19, 2005

A hot letter for lukewarm folk

"So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I am about to spit you out of mouth." vs 3: 16

I was listening to an African-American Christian talk show on the radio this weekend. I bounce around channels all the time looking for something. I get to hear good stuff when I do that like yesterday, a guy said, "America was really defeated in the Civil War." Man, what a nutjob.
However, there was talk on the Christian talk show about whether gospel performers should talk about worldly issues. Like Hip Hop stars talking religious issues. The discussion led to whether or not the church was luke warm.

It is a great insult to be called Lukewarm in the faith.
It means that I am taking my faith seriously. It is a hobby. It may mean that I am some hypocritical. I am not authentic about my faith.

I have become more comfortable with my faith. I felt that I needed to say a lot of Jesus' earlier in my faith and every time I could point to Jesus. I have learned that it is best if I just keep my position pointed at the cross. I know who is working in me and I will share my faith with folks. However, I really don't have the energy to share with folks who are not interested. It is waste of my breath and it is casting the pearl of my faith before swine. For some folks that would be lukewarm. Alright. It maybe. Jesus will judge that and I am comfortable with him as the judge.

In the end where Jesus winds up is this place. He is all over the church in Laodicea and tells them that they need to buy garments of faith. Then Jesus says these words, "I discipline those I love" (vs. 19) In my life, I have felt that God has disciplined me. There have been times when I have sinned and my life collapsed. There I found God's grace more fully.

Jesus talks more of the open door and tomorrow, we get a little more of the topic of the open door and John's vision shifts to heaven. You want to know what Heaven looks like, John gives a vision of heaven.

joy,
RevGuid

1 comment:

lizandtommy said...

Garments of faith...is that where the Mormons came up with their special undergarments??