Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Paul and John disagree in Pergamum

vs. 2:14

"so they would eat food sacrificed to idols"

Paul in I Corinthians 8:1-13 opens up the ban on meat that is used in pagan worship. Back then, the butcher worked next door to the pagan temple. A great amount of the meat eaten was meat that used in temple worship. It was good stewardship and probably fed many poor folk.

However, it was tied to the temple. Folks who had left paganism and turned to faith in Jesus Christ this was troubling. John holds a strict line and says don't eat the meat.

John sees eating the meat as going against the confession that Jesus Christ is Lord. He sees it as believing in the pagan gods. Paul saw the idols as dead. Perhaps, John was a pagan before he became a Christian and had a different experience to inform his faith.

A few months ago, there was an election to make our town, a wet town. It meant that a person could pick up a six pack of beer at Wal-Mart not have to go 3 miles to get it. Initially, I was glad to have that pass since a beer and fajitas taste good together. However, as I thought about it. Not having beer and wine in the store is helpful for some folk. Perhaps what kept some folks sober was not having beer and wine in the store. Now, everywhere they go they have signs. There is nothing wrong with beer or wine, but I am not one who struggles with alcohol. For the sake of my brothers and sisters who do, I am not sure if it is more helpful to be John or Paul at times. That is why we need to listen to both of them.

joy,
RevGuido

1 comment:

Kat H said...

I can't wait to get down to Texas, even if it is cold!

I'm really sorry about the Pringles. I even did an online search; I think they replaced the curry ones with the paprika ones...