Sunday, February 12, 2006

Pondering Cartoons and Church burnings

To burn a church or a cross is a sing of extreme hate. Some would call it terrorism, but I don't want to use that word. Overused and carries too much baggage. However, to burn a cross or to lay down a gang tag on a piece of property is a sign of disrespect and hate. Even to burn a church is an act of hate. I listened on NPR this morning of church members who shifted through charred pews to find Bibles and heard pastors and layfolk speak of forgiveness. There was not a determination to destroy the offender, but a desire to love the offender. A sense of a wonder and awe that somebody would be so mean to burn down a church.

I am not sure folks, but I feel that is great expression of Christianity. Perhaps, that is what has me scratching my head about the cartoons. Let's be honest, the cartoons were racist and we use cartoons as way of toppling power. So, there was something being said. It would be equivalent to showing Our Lady of Guadalupe as a Mule. I think there would be anger, but I don't think there would be violence. So, as a faith who has had Martin Luther King, Jr. as a prophet who called for America to work out its issue of race in non violence, the feelings I understand. The reaction is hard to swallow.

However, as a Christian, I know my country and my savior are different. Do Muslims understand that is how I see my faith and country?

joy,
Guido

No comments: