Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Luke 9:62

From my prayer book today

Jesus tells folks, "One who keeps his hand on the plow and looks back is not fit for the kingdom of God."

It is in response to a man who will follow Jesus if he can go home and tell everybody goodbye. It seems like a reasonable request. Jesus is very unreasonable. And that line really hits me hard. How many times have you thought about the road not taken? There are moments wh.en I really wish I was working in the State Dept. as an analyst. I love that exercise of the mind. However, I am poor at languages.

What if I had taken this job instead of this one what would I had learned and experienced? What if I would have begun the process of adoption earlier?
If I would have went on this date instead of that one?

Looking back at what was or might have been.
None of that gets anywhere. The present is what we have, no day but today.

So, I am where I need to be and I try to have no regrets.
Mary Chapin Carpenter sang once,
"Cut the deck right in half, I will play from either side."

joy,
guido

No comments: