Thursday, August 24, 2006

essentials and non essentials

Hoffmann von Fallersleben wrote: "In essentials, unity; in non essentials, liberty; in all things, charity." This is my tribe of the church's motto, slogan, credo.

As I was reading Velvet Elvis last night something struck me. Rob Bell talks about that notion of God for Moses was that Yahweh was extremely different from other gods. Yahweh was unseen. There were no graven images of Yahweh, because he was without form. I think Rob is going somewhere else, but those words provoked something in my mind.

I began thinking about "What is essential in my own practice of worship?"

As Disciples we have a few things that we hold as sacred, but are they truly essential or just sacred cows that keep the faithful or the want to be faithful from a deeper spirituality.

Is a cross essential in the sanctuary?
Is an American flag flanked by a Christian flag?
Is a candle?
Is a robe?
Is the lectionary?
Is the hymnal?
Is the table and communion?
Is Baptism?

As I begin to say, "No." I know I am bordering on heresy, but alright Campbell and Stone were heretics. However, only those who are close minded fundamentalists who don't allow a discussion to begin. At least that was what I was taught in seminary. You can be a liberal mainline fundamentalist as much as a hard core fundamentalist. Both are lifeless faiths who depend more upon orthopraxis and orthodoxy than the beautiful mystery of faith. Yeah, I mean to be a little belligerent, but perhaps I see a church that is sinking and is rearranging the chairs on the deck to solve the problem. Bail or swim!!!

As I come to understand my faith, here are the essentials.

Jesus Christ
The Bible
The doctrine of grace
Christian Hope
God's hand in creation

That is basically it. I am not sure there is much more. Putting my faith in a crucible, this is where I cannot waiver.

What are your essentials?
Do you agree or disagree with this list?

fearless joy,
Guido

1 comment:

Nathan Mattox said...

Howdy Guido,
I think we've written before about Kazantzakis. We're both friends of KEWP. Your last post got me thinking. I wouldn't disagree with any of your essentials, but have a few things to add.

1. Jesus Christ--I assume the concept of Incarnation is in your mind wrapped up with Jesus Christ. It's not enough to just believe he was a man in Palestine, I don't think, but that he somehow embodied God.
2. The Bible--yes, but not that every word of the Bible is "salutable."
3. Doctrine of Grace--no bones--but you also get caught up in the reason for grace. Is it nec. tied to original sin? Is the "blood offering" of God's son to Satan the only understanding of that grace? What is the doctrine of grace that is essential?
4. Christian Hope-- I agree this is essential. Just a quote from Anne Lamott that I think I can remember---Something like: "Joy is Hope on her feet, Peace is Hope at rest." I like that.
5. God's hand in Creation--I'd be more inclined to say "God's presence in creation." I'm a panentheist, and think that Christianity leads us there.

Would you count the Trinity as essential? No one has taught me more about the Trinity than Moltmann. He developed an idea (had by others too, I think) of the Trinity as "The One Who Speaks, The Word, and The Breath." Makes a lot of sense to me, and has ton's of scriptural weight.

Thanks for the post
Nathan